The Jacksonville University College of Arts & Sciences (COAS) has named double major Francis Alip its Student of the Year.
“Francis has an impressive record of both University and community service along with his academic accomplishments,” says COAS Dean Matthew Corrigan of the biology and psychology double major, who plans to continue his education and eventually become on orthodontist.
Mr. Alip was also honored with Academic Excellence Award in Biology, Outstanding Student of the Year in Biology and Marine Science and Division of Science & Mathematics Student of the Year honors.
He currently serves the University as head tutor and STEAM fellow. He is an officer in the JU Medical Professionals Society, Green Key Honor Society, Beta Beta Beta Honor Society, Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society, and Le Cercle Francophone (French Club). He also founded and is president of the JU Paintball Club.
The COAS Division chairs chose Mr. Alip and also chose to recognize Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps student and physics major Vanessa Rodriguez as this year’s runner-up for the award. Ms. Rodriguez also received the Physics Student of the Year and Division of Science & Mathematics Student of the Year honors.
In addition to Mr. Alip and Ms. Rodriguez, COAS also honored 31 additional students for their accomplishments during the 2019-2020 academic year.
“We are so proud of all of these students,” Dean Corrigan says. “All of these students have made a large impact on the University and all of Northeast Florida.”
Awards in the School of Education include:
- Students of the Year – Erica P. Baker, LaToya Stephenson, Kelsey Nevils
Awards in the Division of Humanities included:
- Humanities Division Student of the Year – Sam McIntire
- Communication Department Student of the Year – Hannah Murray
- Communication Department Leader of the Year – Carley Stickney
- English Department Student of the Year – D’Ayn Sayre
- French Department Student of the Year – Emilia Vicente Santana
- Philosophy Department Student of the Year – Sam McIntire
Awards in the Division of Science and Mathematics included:
- Academic Excellence Award in Biology – Francis Alip
- Academic Excellence Award in Marine Science – Olivia North-Menthonnex
- Outstanding Student of the Year in Biology and Marine Science – Olivia North-Menthonnex, Bianca Wong Rodriguez, Francis Alip, Annalyce Papo-Ramsey
- Chemistry Student of the Year – Ksenja Llazar
- Golightly Award in Computing Science (Outstanding Student) – Danielle Combs (IS)
- Outstanding Student – Connor Spangler (Cyber Security) and Trixie Ramos (Computing Science)
- Golightly Award in Mathematics (Outstanding Student) – Taylor McRae
- Dr. Pam Crawford Mathematics Endowed Scholarship Award – Patricia Sherwood
- Student of the Year in Engineering – Walter Merz
- Engineering Service Award – Anya Plummer
- Physics Student of the Year – Vanessa Rodriguez
- Division of Science & Mathematics Student of the Year – Vanessa Rodriguez & Francis Alip
- Renaissance Award – Bianca Wong Rodriguez & Anna Tripp
Awards in the Division of Social Sciences include:
- Division Student of the Year – Peyton Acosta, Francis Alip
- Department of Geography – Abrielle Genest
- Department of History – Rhiannon Turner
- Department of Political Science – Lauren Brown
- Department of Psychology – Danielle Comb, Francis Alip
- Department of Sociology – Graham Bowman, Diana Cleveland, Bria Walker
- Department of Sustainability – David Disbrow