In what has become a coveted annual tradition, as well as a fitting tribute to the academic school year, Jacksonville University has named its Professor of the Year and presented its 2020-2021 Faculty Awards for Excellence. The awards were announced in a faculty assembly held virtually on April 7, 2021. Provost Dr. Christine Sapienza and Vice Provost Dr. Sherri Jackson presided over the event, which was punctuated with emoji “cheers” and congratulatory computer dings.
With the online equivalent of a standing ovation, Dr. Daniel Moseley took top honors as Jacksonville University’s Professor of the Year. Moseley, an associate professor of mathematics and director of the university’s honors and scholars programs, also won an award for excellence for university service, and according to Jackson, both are well-deserved.
“Dr. Moseley is very deserving of this award, the highest honor that we bestow each year on a faculty member,” Jackson said. “All faculty members have strengths; however, Dr. Moseley is one of the rare individuals who excels in all areas—teaching, scholarship and service. I am thrilled that his dedication and superlative work have been recognized by his peers.”
A professor can win Professor of the Year only once in their tenure with Jacksonville University, and it is clear that winning this award during such a challenging time meant a lot to Moseley who was quick to credit his fellow faculty members for their efforts as well. “It is extremely flattering and humbling to be honored as JU’s Professor of the Year,” he said. “Every day I feel blessed to be surrounded by such talented colleagues who have worked so tirelessly to support our students and institution during this challenging year. My immense respect and kudos to all of my colleagues here at JU.”
Preceding the presentation for Professor of the Year, Sapienza announced the Faculty Awards for Excellence. These awards recognize excellence in teaching, scholarship and professional activities, community service, and university service. To be eligible, candidates must be nominated in at least one of these categories and must be in their third year of full-time teaching at JU. They must also supply a comprehensive portfolio of supporting materials including a philosophy statement, curriculum vitae, course evaluations, examples of professional work and innovative practices, etc.
Selections are made by committee based on the quality of these portfolios, the nominations for each candidate, and other factors. When the rigorous selection process is completed, the field of candidates is narrowed to four.
“This year’s winners and nominees are all outstanding educators who represent a variety of academic programs and who model excellence, compassion and dedication to their students, peers and our community,” Sapienza said. “Jacksonville University is grateful to have so many faculty members worthy of this award, and the number of nominees speaks to the quality of our faculty throughout all of our programs.”
Following, are the winners in each of the award categories:
Dr. Tamara Caudill – Teaching Award
- Serves as Assistant Editor Le Cygne: Journal of the International Marie de France Society
- Serves as Le Cercle Francophone faculty advisor
- This organization was named the Student Organization of the Year and was recognized with a prestigious French on Campus Award by the Cultural Services of the French Embassy in the United States.
- Supervises and leads French Week at JU leading to program growth in French.
- Publishes on pedagogy which are highly rated by her academic peers.
Dr. Bryan Franks — Scholarship and Professional Activities Award
- Served as Chief or Co-Chief scientist for the last 3 OCEARCH expeditions
- OCEARCH is JU’s partner for marine research science.
- Participated in eight OCEARCH expeditions, ranging from Canada to Florida
- Has extensively published and presented his research on sharks
- Has received over $130,000 of internal and external grant funding
- Serves as an advisor for five Marine Science Research Institute graduate students
- Serves as a member of the OCEARCH Science Advisory Board
- Serves as a reviewer for five peer-reviewed journals
- Serves as the Vice Chair of the Board of Directors of the Bimini Biological Field Station
Dr. Melinda Simmons — Community Service Award
- Serves as a Board Member for the Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens for seven years, Program Manager for two years
- Co-wrote a grant that enables the Arboretum to run monthly programming
- Serves as a Board Member of the National Association of Marine Laboratories
- Serves as a Board Member of the Southeast Coastal Ocean Observing Regional Association
- 2020 Leadership Jacksonville Program member
- Serves on the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design subcommittee working on a certification for Atlantic Beach
Dr. Daniel Moseley – University Service Award
- Director of the Honors and Scholars Programs
- Served as Co-Director of Undergraduate Research for two years
- Served on both the Core Curriculum Committee and the Curriculum Committee for four years and chaired the Curriculum Committee for three years
- Served as faculty marshal for commencement ceremonies
- Served on the Summer Faculty Council (2020)
- Served on the Experiential Learning Curriculum Committee
- Served on the Common Reading Committee
- Served on several faculty and administrative search committees
- Faculty advisor to Jacksonville University’s Math Society
- Chair of the College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Task Force
Professor of the Year Finalists
- Dr. Julius Demps
Professor of Management
- Professor Erik DeCicco
Assistant Professor of Theatre
- Dr. Amber Santos
Clinical Assistant Professor of Nursing
- Dr. Daniel Moseley
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Professor of the Year Winner (2020-2021)
Dr. Daniel Moseley