International Business/English double major Ellis Harr, a Presidential Student Ambassador who also heads Sigma Chi fraternity on campus, will bring his voice to The Florida Times-Union Editorial Board this semester as a citizen member, the newspaper announced.
The five members appointed “speak up as the editorial board crafts positions on major issues of the day,” Times-Union Editorial Page Editor Mike Clark wrote. “We also take care to invite one college student in each class to reflect generational diversity.”
Harr, a senior from Chattanooga, Tenn., joins Clayton Levins, a 2014 Communications graduate now working as Community Engagement Coordinator for the University, and James Poindexter, a 2014 JU MBA/Florida Coastal School of Law JD graduate who is now an attorney with Delegal Law Offices, on the list of JU students to earn a coveted spot on the high-profile media panel.
The many accolades and accomplishments to Harr’s credit while a JU student include:
- Positions as a Business Analyst Intern for Black Knight Financial Services, which services nearly half of all U.S. mortgages; Executive Intern for Greenshades Software, owned by JU alumnus and Trustee Matt Kane ’01; and Strategic Sourcing Intern for Bi-Lo Holdings-Winn-Dixie, the ninth-largest grocery store chain in the nation.
- Business exchange program participant with the European Business School in Germany, and a Study Abroad program participant at the University of Roehampton in London.
- Named to The Top 40 Talent list by the Davis College of Business in 2014.
- Member of Beta Gamma Sigma, the honor society for students enrolled in business and management programs accredited by AACSB International – The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. Election to lifetime membership in Beta Gamma Sigma is the highest honor a business student anywhere in the world can receive in an undergraduate or master’s program at a school accredited by AACSB International.
- Student Ambassador with Presidential Distinction and recipient of “Finest Fin” Award for job proficiency.
- Winner of the President’s Award, part of the Jacksonville University Student Leadership Awards, which recognize high-achieving students and organizations, and publicly acknowledge students’ dedication and hard work.
- President of Sigma Chi Fraternity.
- Treasurer and Social Chair of the JU Honors Program.